The PA474 Lancaster Bomber is one of the most well-known aircraft used by the Royal Air Force in World War II. It first saw active service in 1942 and was the primary heavy bomber used for long-distance nighttime bombing.
It became one of them most successful, and well known, bombers of the war. The Lancaster, or ‘Lanc’, as it was affectionately called, was retired in 1963.
This particular Lancaster was flown for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight on May 4 and 5 2014. It flew to the Netherlands, staying overnight at Eindhoven Airfield.
While it was there, MrSoeberg made two videos of this magnificent warplane.
The Lancaster was built in the middle of 1945. Japan was being bombed at the time, but it was too late to take part in the operation. It was given reconnaissance duties instead.
After the war, the Air Historical Branch put it on display. It appeared in the films Operation Crossbow and The Guns of Navarone. In 1973 it came into the hands of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
The markings it wears belong to the City of Lincoln, though before it had the markings of the Phantom of the Ruhr.
The Phantom, assigned to 100 Squadron in 1943, flew 1231 missions before being transferred to 101 Squadron.
When the war ended it belonged to 550 Squadron at Ludford Magna.