The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg.
Information of the loss of a U-boat came from a neutral ship captain. He added detail to the sinking of UB-110 by a convoy escort off the East Coast on July 19th. The UB-110 was submerged and making an approach to the convey when her periscope was sighted, only 50 yards away, by a motor launch. Sevaral ships immediately dropped depth charges.
The U-boats forward diving rudders jammed in the up position; her port motor short-circuited; and fuel tank was damaged. When she came to the surface, exuding oil, the destroyer GARRY rammed her twice and hit her with several bursts of gunfire. With the upper works torn open, the U-boat rolled over and sank. Thirteen survivors, including Fürbinger, were picked up.
On August 2nd the Red Cross reported that Fürringer, his watch officer, and part of his crew were prisoners.
Divers were soon sent down to the new UB-110 to recover documents, among them the log book of the submarine. She had left Zeebrugge at 2250 on July 4th for the East coast, the log gave her noon position for each day until July 15th. On October 4th the wreck was finally raised from the bottom and towed to Newcastle. On October 7th photographs taken in the dry dock showed how extensively she had been damaged via
In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter’s dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit.
The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap.
The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine. Full album can be seen here
This image is taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend.
A general view of the Submarine looking forward
This photograph shows the 3rd compartment of the Submarine and the Crew’s lockers.
This photograph shows the Control Room and access scuttle to the conning tower.
This photograph shows the Submarine’s compartment No. 6, including its sleeping berths and access to the Engine Room.
The Control Room, showing the Submarine’s Gyro compass, steering control shaft, engine telegraphs and voice pipes.