Renewed attacks on the Italian War Cemetery in Tripoli, Libya last January 19 resulted to a casualty – that of the life of the cemetery’s guard.
According to a report ran by Libya Herald, the said cemetery became the subject of another assault just a day after alleged pro-Qaddafi supporters stormed its premises with green flags in hand Saturday.
This time, the assailants were able to get past the guards and do some damages on some of the Italian War Cemetery graves as well as burn down the guard’s car.
Though the initial report that came out stated that no one was harmed in the said invasion, it proved to be untrue. Nevertheless, the exact precedence which led to the death of the Italian War Cemetery guard is still under further investigation.
Libyan authorities had already sent police officers to watch over the cemetery after the first attack but in spite of this, the attackers seemed to have successfully carried out their assault against the Italian War Cemetery.
The attacks on the said cemetery came after two Italian workers in a construction firm went missing in the area between Martuba and Derna, eastern Libya, Friday.