MOH: helped save his burning B-17 by urinating on the fire, drove off waves of German fighters & saved the lives of 6 crew members

Shahan Russell
Route from Turleigh to St. Nazaire
Route from Turleigh to St. Nazaire

However, in the cloud bank, the lead navigator made a mistake by turning east too early. They were still flying over France’s northwestern peninsula, a trajectory that took them directly to Brest. The Germans greeted them with flak from the ground, and while their planes had been too slow to respond at St. Nazaire, Brest was another matter.

As many as 20 enemy fighters attacked the formation and two Fortresses were shot out of the sky, so Johnson dropped his bomber to avoid the oncoming enemy fighters as Smith began firing back. Their B-17 was hit by 20mm cannon fire but managed to steer toward the English Channel before an enemy pilot got lucky.

An explosion rocked the plane. Communications went down; controls went haywire, Technical Sergeant William W. Fahrenhold who was in the cockpit was ordered by Johnson to check out the damage. He opened the door to see what he could do. He couldn’t do anything. The central part of the plane was on fire, so he shut the door again. Johnson, Fahrenhold, and 1st Lieutenant Robert McCallum (the copilot) were trapped and couldn’t communicate with the rest of the crew.

The ball turret didn’t work either, but Smith managed to climb out to find the radio compartment and the center section of the plane on fire. Radioman Harry Bean ran past him with a parachute and jumped out over the channel. Waist gunners Joseph Bukacek and Robert Folliard did the same.

He was isolated from the crew up front and at first did not know whether they had bailed out or been killed, but since the B-17 seemed to be holding formation, he assumed that the pilot, at least, was alive and at the controls.

Wrapping his sweater around his face, Smith grabbed a fire extinguisher and took care of the radio room… just as Roy Gibson, the tail gunner, crawled out of the burning tail toward him. Smith dragged him away and saw that he had been shot in the back. He rolled the man over to keep him from drowning in his own blood, gave him a shot of morphine, and went back to work on the radio room fire till he was interrupted by a Focke Wulf 190 lining up for a shot.

The holes in the radio operator's compartment that Smith chucked burning debris out of
The holes in the radio operator’s compartment that Smith chucked burning debris out of

Dropping the extinguisher, Smith fired 50-caliber rounds at the enemy plane. It veered off, leaving him to get back to the fire. Seeing a large hole in the fuselage, he jumped in the room and began throwing the burning debris out of the plane. Then ammunition boxes began exploding, so he threw those out, too.

But another plane attacked them, so again he ran to the waist gun, fired, then returned to the fire until the extinguisher was empty. He then used the contents of a water bottle, the contents of a urine bottle, and finally unzipped his pants. But he didn’t have enough juice, either.

Desperate, he began hitting the flames with his hands and feet till his clothes smoldered, but that did no good either. Then another enemy fighter dove on them. Smith had had enough. Running to the waist gun for the third time he managed to score several hits on the enemy plane, then went back to the fire till Gibson groaned.

Secretary of War Stimson attaching the Medal of Honor on Smith
Secretary of War Stimson attaching the Medal of Honor on Smith

He spent the next hour and a half tending to the guy, shooting at German planes, and finally managed to put out the fire which had burned so hot, that metal had melted. Fearing that the heat had weakened the B-17’s fuselage, he threw out everything in the rear of the plane that wasn’t too hot, too heavy, or bolted down.

Johnson got them back to base, but the landing was the last straw. The plane broke in two.

Smith’s bomber had been hit with more than 3,500 bullets and pieces of shrapnel.

Except for the three who jumped, they all lived. They let Smith fly more missions, but he still wasn’t liked, and his attitude hadn’t improved. When he was late for a mission because he had stayed out too late, he was punished with kitchen duty.

His awarding ceremony was great, however. President Franklin Roosevelt understood the PR value of the event, so full military honors were prepared. Even Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson flew out to give Smith his Medal of Honor, but nobody bothered to tell Smith about it. They found him in the kitchen doing cleaning work.