Platinum Warbirds have this 1944 North American TF-51 full dual control “Mustang” for sale and is yours for $3,200,000.
The P-51 Mustang Fighter, a North American Aviation, is one of the most iconic fighters / fighter-bombers that is single-seated and was used during World War 2. In total over 15,000 of these were manufactured.
The Mustang was designed originally to be used with the Allison V-1710 engine – making it a very good aircraft. When the B & C models were made of the P-51, they added a Rolls Royce Merlin engine and this completely transformed its performance at high altitude (15,000+ feet) which meant it matched or even bettered that of the Luftwaffe’s fighter jets.
The final version of the P-51 was the P-51D, and this was powered by yet another engine, the Packard V-1650-7, and was fully armed with .50 caliber M2 machine guns (6 in total on each jet).
From late in 1943 P-51’s were used to escort bombers in raids over occupied Europe and over Germany, all the way to Berlin. The P-51’s with the Merlin engines were also used as fighter-bombers which made sure that the Allied ruled supreme in the air in 1944.
Before we get to the details of this warbird for sale – here are some facts about the P-51 Mustang….
1. Built in Texas & California
North American Aviation (NAA) built the P-51 Mustang in factories based in Inglewood, California, and Dallas, Texas.
P-51A Mustang during a test flight near the North American Aviation plant in Inglewood, California, United States, Oct 1942. It took them 102 days to build the engineering prototype. The NA-73X prototype first flew on October 26, 1940.
The first Mustangs were the P-51As. They had Allison V-1710 single stage V-12 engines. On November 30, 1942, the Merlin-powered XP-51B fighter was test flown. This model added speed and a ceiling above 40,000 feet. Flight tests confirmed the potential of the new model.
3. First Use
P-51 Mustang fighters being prepared for test flight, North American Aviation, Inglewood, California, United States, Oct 1942.The RAF were the first to use the P-51, beginning their use in January of 1942. Starting in late 1943, the US Army Air Force Eighth Air Force used P-51B fighters to escort bombers on raids over Germany. They later supplemented with P-51D fighters, starting in mid-1944.
4. They were everywhere
P-51D Mustang aircraft ‘Tika IV’ of the US Army 361st Flight Group, Jul-Dec 1944. P-51 Mustangs were used in both the Pacific and the European theaters. After WWII, more than 55 countries used the P-51 in their militaries.
5. The P stands for…
The “P” in P-51 stands for “Pursuit.” This was changed in 1948 to “F” for “Fighter.”
6. Model D
P-51D of the 99th Fighter Squadron, 332nd Fighter Group shows off it distinctive red tail, probably at Ramitelli Airfield, Italy, 1944-45. The most widely produced version of the P-51 was the P-51D, recognizable by its bubble canopy and Rolls Royce Merlin engine.
The P-51D had six .50 caliber Browning machine guns holding 1,880 rounds (400 rounds in each gun and 270 rounds in each outboard.
The Iowa Beaut,’ a P-51B of the 354th Fighter Squadron flown over the English countryside by Lt Robert E Hulderman, mid-1944. A different pilot in this plane was lost near Rechtenbach, Germany, Sep 11, 1944
They also carried 10 “zero rail” rockets under each wing and were equipped with bomb racks. Each plane could carry 1000 pounds of bombs.
THE WORLD’S PREMIER WARBIRD AND CLASSIC AIRCRAFT BROKER
50 Hrs TT Since Restoration
TF Conversion by Square One Aviation / Restoration completed by Meier Motors
Packard Merlin V-1650-7 w/ Transport Heads and Banks
50 SMOH by Vintage V-12’s
Hamilton Standard 24-D50 w/ Paddle Blades
A.D. 81 – 13 – 06 complied with
Radios: 2x Garmin SL 40
Transponder: Garmin GTX 330ES
Encoder: ACK A30
ELT: Kannad 406 AF Comp
Exterior: Polished fuselage with painted wings
Paint Scheme: Pseudo 352nd FG as “Little Ite”
Quality – 10 / 10:
Quality – 10 / 10:
Eligible for Limited Category C of A in the USA
Location: Germany and for sale by Platinum Warbirds
Call us toll free: +1800 210 1951
Email Simon Brown
Email John Rayner