War History online proudly presents this Guest Piece from Jeremy P. Ämick, who is a military historian and writes on behalf of the Silver Star Families of America.
According to Nancy Thompson, chairman of the Cemetery Resources Board of the City of Jefferson, Mo., the Old City Cemetery and the Woodland Cemetery serve as the final resting place for scores of local veterans, in addition to the number of veterans that are interred in the adjacent Jefferson City National Cemetery.
Within Woodland Cemetery, however, the cemetery board has indentified the graves of two local veterans of World War I, one of whom, Thomspon sadly notes, has been nearly forgotten since he left behind no children to perpetuate his memory.
John H. Gundelfinger was born in Jefferson City on August 26, 1896, as noted on his WWI draft registration card. The son of William H. Gundelfinger, who worked in a local shoe factory, John followed in his father’s footsteps by working for the Interational Shoe Company in Jefferson City prior to his military service.
“We have very little information about him other than what is found on the Find A Grave website,” said Thompson.
Gundelfinger’s draft registration card reveals several additional details, noting that the Jefferson Citian was not required to register under the Selective Service Act until the second registration held on June 5, 1918. The first registration, which was held on June 5, 1917, required all males between 21 and 30 years of age to register, but Gundelfinger was nearly two months shy of turning 21 at that time.
On June 27, 1918, a total of 1,200 draft order numbers were drawn, which included Gundelfinger’s. Several weeks later, on August 15, 1918, he began his military service when he was inducted into the U.S. Army in Jefferson City.
His only sibling, a brother named William Edward Gundelfinger, was inducted into the U.S. Army on October 18, 1918 and remained with the Student Army Training Corps at Washington University in St. Louis during his brief time in the military.
The 21-year-old John Gundelfinger became a member of the Veterinary Corps (VC) and was first assigned to a site in North Charleston, S.C., referred to as Animal Embarkation Depot 302. With the capacity for housing 10,000 animals, it was here, the book “The Quartermaster in the Year 1917 in the World War” explains, that soldiers of the VC provided “for the care and conditioning of public animals prior to their issue to troops or shipment overseas …”
“There was a total of 300,802 animals purchased in the United States from the beginning of the War; all of which had to be transported from point of purchase to a Remount Depot, and in most instances again shipped to ports of embarkation or to a Remount Depot near the Atlantic Coast so that they could be readily available for shipment overseas …” the aforementioned book further noted.